The Military Relations Council of the Topeka Chamber of Commerce mission is to raise the level of interaction, mutual awareness, support and appreciation between the military and civilian business communities in the greater Shawnee county community.
The relationship between these two vitally important sectors of the community is strengthened through quarterly luncheons, community engagement activities and a diverse advisory board incorporating business, military, civilians and other interested parties.
The luncheons provide attendees the opportunity to listen to notable guest speakers from the military community, honor veterans and network with one another to grow the military and business communities understanding of one another.
Luncheon schedule for 2017:
- February 8, Capital Plaza Hotel,
- Keynote Speaker: Col. Dan Skoda, 190th ARW, sharing his perspective on what it is like to deploy and how he and his family prepares for it.
- May 16, Ramada Topeka Downtown
- Keynote Speaker: CWO Robert Hammon, 1st Battalion, 108th Aviation, first person account on flying UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter missions over Iraq.
- August 16, Ramada Topeka Downtown
- Keynote speaker: Our speaker is Major General Victor Braden. Major General Braden is the Commanding General, 35th Infantry Division. He will be speaking about his unit’s current mobilization and the challenges of his personnel upon their return from deployment.
- November 10, Ramada Topeka Downtown
- Keynote speaker: to be announced
RSVP for the next luncheon here.
Community Engagement Opportunities:
May 20, Great American Cleanup Project with Keep America Beautiful Topeka/Shawnee County
Topeka Cemetery, 10th & California
- Join with the MRC and other volunteers to beautiful the final resting place of some Topeka’s heroes by cleaning headstones, mowing, trimming and providing general clean-up of the Topeka Cemetery.
Military Hometown Heroes of Topeka banner program
- Learn more information at militaryveteranproject.org, click the Topeka tab.
Advisory Board Members:
The Military Advisory Council is made up of individuals of Topeka and Shawnee County businesses and military installations along with retirees and interested community members. The Advisory Board meets monthly. If you are interested in joining the advisory board, please contact Curtis Sneden.