Mission: To further the growth of business, jobs and quality of life through favorable legislation and positive working relationships with local, state and federal governments.
Goal: Attain favorable state business legislation
Strategy: Develop & maintain legislative policies and priorities.
- Committee and staff determines potential legislative issues.
- Board approves legislative priorities.
Strategy: Achieve legislative approval of priorities & business legislation.
- Through alliances with other stakeholders, through coalitions and individually achieve approval of legislation.
- Testify before legislative committees & lobby individual legislators.
- Provide information and data to policy makers.
Strategy: Keep members informed about legislative issues.
- Legislative Information Committee.
- Email legislative updates to members.
- Report to Board and member groups.
- Publish Legislative Priorities and results in Topeka Business and on our website.
- Offer State legislative program during Legislature session.
Strategy: Hold a welcome event for legislature.
- Cosponsor event with Downtown Topeka, Visit Topeka, North Topeka Business Alliance, Heartland Visioning Government Foundation, NOTO, MTAA, City of Topeka, Shawnee County and Topeka Metro.
Goal: Attain favorable federal legislation.
Strategy: Develop and articulate policy positions on issues affecting business.
Strategy: Partner with US Chamber for information and coalitions.
Goal: Maintain & grow federal jobs and operations in Topeka.
- Build economic relationships with the federal & military employers.
- Retain Washington consulting firm, Madison Government Relations, to assist in reaching goals set by the Joint Economic Development Organization (JEDO).
Strategy: Work with federal operations in Topeka to maintain and grow their presence.
Strategy: Work with federal delegation, Adjutant General's office, and the 190th ARW for maintenance and growth of military operations.
Goal: Bring members and federal delegation together to work on issues.
- Provide Federal Forums and federal delegation meetings for members to communicate business concerns and suggestions.
Goal: Work with local officials to enhance the growth of business and jobs in Topeka and Shawnee County.
- Testify before city and county and government agencies on issues impacting local business.
- Work with elected officials and staff to better business growth and stability.
- Provide business information to government bodies.
Goal: Adequate infrastructure available for the growth of business and population
Strategy: Work with local governments, MTAA & utilities on priorities.
Strategy: Provide input to the city and county on local plans and development
- Participate in government committees relating to infrastructure.
Goal: Gain new ideas and processes for achieving solutions to community challenges.
Strategy: Coordinate Inter-City Visit for public and private sector leaders to interface with leaders from other communities to learn practices to achieve chamber and community goals.
- Schedule and facilitate a planned visit to another community to exchange ideas and gain insight from local officials and their community volunteers and chamber staff.