What does Leadership Greater Topeka entail?
Leadership Greater Topeka brings together a broad cross section of both acknowledged and aspiring leaders from every corner of the community for an annual community leadership training course.
For the Greater Topeka area to grow and prosper, we need leaders from all backgrounds and vocations, who will wrestle with the challenges facing our community. The goals are to challenge and motivate traditional and non-traditional leaders by teaching adaptive leadership competencies through information, dialogue and hands-on experience so participants are better prepared to strengthen and transform our community.
In place since 1984, Leadership Greater Topeka has more than 1,000 alumni with nearly 70% still living and active in the Topeka area. Leadership Greater Topeka alumni are challenged to apply their talents throughout the community in volunteer, appointed and elected positions.
Nominations and applications for the program are accepted each fall with the new class announced prior to year end. The course is offered beginning in late January and runs until mid-May with a two-day retreat and eight day-long sessions, primarily on Fridays.
The sessions cover key community concerns in the areas of quality of life, government, crime, business and economic development, community services, education, health care and the media. Woven throughout the program are concepts of:
- Adaptive/Technical Leadership Skills
- Leadership Skills: Gallup Strengthsfinder, change, collaboration, consensus, facilitation, visioning and steps to a learning community.
- Servant Leadership: the natural feeling that one wants to serve, to serve first. Then conscious choice brings one to aspire to lead… to make sure that other people’s highest priority needs are served.
2018 Tuition is $875.00; Scholarships are available for those who may see the tuition as a deterrent to applying. Chamber membership is not a requirement for participation.
Important Dates for 2018 Leadership Greater Topeka Program
Nomination Deadline: Friday, September 29, 2017
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 13, 2017
Conversations with Alumni (scheduled individually): Nov. 6-7, 2017
Selection Announcement: Friday, Dec. 8, 2017
Participant Orientation: Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018
Two-Day Retreat: Thursday, Jan. 11, and Friday, Jan. 12; Location: The Brownstone
- Session #1: Friday, Jan. 19, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Session #2: Friday, Feb. 2, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Session #3: Friday, Feb. 16, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Session #4: Friday, March 2, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Session #5: Friday, March 16, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Session #6: Thursday, March 29, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Session #7: Friday, April 13, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Session #8: Friday, April 27, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Graduation/Alumni Luncheon: Wednesday, May 9, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Ramada Convention Center, 420 SE Sixth Avenue, Topeka
We’re seeking individuals to participate in the 2018 Leadership Greater Topeka program. Nominations will be accepted through Friday, Sept. 29. Applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 16, 2017. Nominees should be able to demonstrate an increasing level of responsibility, a potential for continuing to play a leadership role in the Topeka area and evidence of professional and personal growth. Work experience, scope of personal interests, level of community involvement and recognition of leadership abilities will have significant impact on the final selection process.
NOTE: Please use a separate form if nominating more than one individual. Fill out the form below or download the PDF here.